Wednesday 8 December 2010

A link to the past


I did a lot of travelling lately. Sometimes, in a week, I had to go to  KL twice - attending all sorts of seminar, courses and what not! Nowadays, traveling is easy nowadays due to the R & Rs along the PLUS highway. I remember those days when we travelled, mom had to pack some food so that we can stop to eat.. of course, we had to select somewhere nice (usually a bit off the road -a comfortable place to sit and eat together like a picnic.) Now, we don't have to pack food because there are many choices at the stop areas.

So last week, we were at one of the R&Rs when I  saw an actor who was famous in my childhood. He used to act with P. Ramlee. Who does not know P. Ramlee? Even my son, Amir loves him. He don't usually watch Malay movies but he loves him anyway. We enjoyed watching some of the films especially "Seniman Bujang Lapok". Even watching the same movie 10 or more times, you will still laugh your heart out. Oh... what a talent this man was! However, he passed away at quite a young age, 43. I was in primary school and I can remember the blanket of sadness covering the whole nation when people heard the sad news. It was like we can never have anyone so talented anymore. How true... I don't think anyone have the same magical touch... that touches the hearts of young and old. And amazingly, most of his films are evergreen!

Back to my story... I saw one of the Bujang Lapok - Aziz Satar. I thought Amir would really be happy. I told him and he was very excited. He rushed to meet Pak Aziz and with his dad, he took a photo with Pak Aziz Satar. He was really happy and glad. He wanted to upload on his facebook!

I was thinking.. what was so special? Of course, he was one of THE Bujang Lapok but he is no more famous. But the fact that he is the link to the past is what makes him so special. A past, left as memories - forgotten and unforgotten as we can be selective. A past to a man who was quite special... P. Ramlee. And I guess, anything that is not accessible is invaluable! And I believe for Aziz Satar, his experience working with P.Ramlee creates a legacy of its own.

I heard that P. Ramlee was a kind man. I also heard that he used to give a portion of his money to charity when at that time, they were paid little. May Allah accepts his good deeds and kind heart to kindly forgives him for whatever evil all these film business had caused him.

No comments: