Wednesday 15 December 2010

Thank you Allah for yesterday when I was young


It is amazing when you look back and think of the years you have left behind, and of course, not knowing what is left. At times, you have to pinch yourself and look in the mirror to see how old you are [not much difference eh?] as you are always the same at heart. Of course, with some revelation in life, you improve in many ways due to the knowledge gained and confidence accumulated along the way. That should make you smile in realizing how incredible life has been. In this life, we are given a certain amount and we cannot have it all at once. God knows how easy we can deviate and be ungrateful to Him.

Saidina Ali said "if you were given the scroll of fate and see what was decreed in your life, you will not want to change a thing". Despite the pain memories, bad decision, wrong calculations and what not, they were all added to your store of values. These values made you and everyday you are living by these values.

Relationships, how good or bad - they are in the store too.. building your character as they influence you, one way or another. People change through time with all these values accumulating and changing, adapting to situations in life. How many times people change your mind about something? See how powerful interactions are? Your principles - they can remain the same or they can be improved...  as you re-evaluates your values as knowledge and experience added to your store!! Hopefully, good values stays. This is the process of maturity... and as time goes by, people change. Relationships change. Faces change. Nothing endures but change.

Is it a sad thing to change? Not really. In most cases, changes can mean a good thing. Whatever experience you have in life - good or bad - they are generally good, ain't it? All those thousand dreams that you dreamed but never achieved, they help you inspired. All those foolish games you play, they help you learn a trick. The love games you play and got hurt, they teach you to be wiser. No matter what you do before, there is always lessons to learn. If there is anything that you regret, let it be... leave yesterday as today can be your last. Like Anne said, "Life is too short to hold grudges" but if things are too much to handle, take a walk or better still, a vacation!

So when I look back to the years when I was young..things were sweet. I remember myself being a naive girl, who were forced to be independent when I left the nest of my family flying far to the United States at a very young age. So when I hear this song... it really clings to the heart. How true!! How careless we can be when we were young.....



"It seems the love I've known,
has always been the most destructive kind.
I guess that's why now,
I feel so old before my time."

Yesterday, when I was young,
The taste of life was sweet, as rain upon my tongue,
I teased at life, as if it were a foolish game,
The way the evening breeze may tease a candle flame

The thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I planned,
I always built, alas, on weak and shifting sand,
I lived by night, and shunned the naked light of day,
And only now, I see, how the years ran away

Yesterday, when I was young,
So many happy songs were waiting to be sung,
So many wild pleasures lay in store for me,
And so much pain, my dazzled eyes refused to see

I ran so fast that time, and youth at last ran out,
I never stopped to think, what life, was all about,
And every conversation, I can now recall,
Concerned itself with me, and nothing else at all

Yesterday, the moon was blue,
And every crazy day, brought something new to do,
I used my magic age, as if it were a wand,
And never saw the worst, and the emptiness beyond

The game of love I played, with arrogance and pride,
And every flame I lit, too quickly, quickly died,
The friends I made, all seemed somehow to drift away,
And only I am left, on stage to end the play

There are so many songs in me, that won't be sung,
I feel the bitter taste, of tears upon my tongue,
The time has come for me to pay,
For yesterday, when I was young

There is some truth in the song.. I believe normal people go through similar process - making mistakes and mend them... So Allah take youth and give you wisdom - What a great exchange! Should we not be grateful???  So when I look into the mirror, I always say "THANK YOU ALLAH FOR YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS YOUNG".

Indeed, we have to be among the grateful ones.

No comments: