Tuesday 21 January 2014

A thousand splendid suns

I bought this book online.. first purchase online since I am back in Malaysia. When I was in UK, I always buy books online - may be because it's cheaper online. Well, I also bought books from carboot sales which is "crazy cheap", an expression they like to use in Malaysia. It's one of those books you cannot put down once you start to read. Khaled Housseini never disappoints you... his writing is superb. When you read, you can imagine and sometimes, you can smell things.. the aroma of the surroundings. Have you read it? If not.. I don't want to spoil your excitement.. but still, I want to say something about it.

It started with the life of Mariam - a special person whose life started as a lonely little girl and was controlled by her mother. Despite being secluded from the real world, she is hopeful that one day, she would be able to reach out to the world. Having a mother who is so negative about everything, it is hard for her to move forward but the brave action that she took one day changes everything in her life. When you read about Mariam, you can feel the loneliness and the innocent hope she had on the person who was so important in her life - the person she looked up and always looking forward to meet.. her father whom she thought had betrayed her. It was sad.. not only sad, but heart wrenching. How she had to take the hand of an older man who used her, battered her and took everything away from her - that is her self pride. She felt like dirt.. like she is worthless but then, when someone came into her life in the most unpredictable way, she started to understand the meaning of life and her self worthiness. Most importantly, she feels loved and be loved.

But all the loves come with a price... a very high price indeed that many may not be able to pay. She sacrificed everything for her love. As a harami, she wants her life to mean something..

Towards the ending, my heart sinks... I can't help but imagine the feelings of all the characters involved especially Laila... the girl whom Mariam hated at first and ended loving her with all her heart. What about Aziza, the lovely girl who was with Mariam since she was small. The feelings that you have for these characters are really strong and make you feel amazed of how the author brilliantly developed the relationship gradually as you turn the page, one by one. FANTASTIC!!

For a few days now, I searched for the book again... miss-placed. Don't know at which shelf of my here-and-there library I have left it and now, I can't find it. I went to the bookstore this time but they don't have it. I have to wait for their new order. For good books, I don't mind repurchasing. It's an ownership worth spending and I will wait.

No comments: