Friday 15 July 2011

They Took Their Oath....

The congregation for the conferment of degrees was so grand and merry with less protocol - short and nice. The Vice Chancellor’s speech was very meaningful and not too formal which to me, seemed to connect to all these students who were sitting there, listening well. Then they called their names and one by one, each student went on the stage to get his or her scroll. They are young doctors.. ready to serve and help people. It was indeed a moving moment for many – especially for those parents whom had thrived to send their daughters/sons to medical school. Behind all those success, I believe each one of them had their own stories to tell. Tears were difficult to hold back and I am sure, other parents felt the same. We sat there enjoying every sweet moment of success. You can see parents at their best – I bet many had ordered special suits for the occasion as indeed it was a special moment for everyone. At the end of the session, the graduates of Leeds University Medical School stood up and read their oath….

I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity,
I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due;
I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
I will respect the secrets which are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
I will maintain by all the means in my power the honour
And the noble traditions of the medical profession;
My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
I will not permit considerations of age, disease
or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient;
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from its beginning 
even under threat and I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of humanity;
I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour.

That was the oath written beautifully for these young graduates. They read and we listened quietly with contentment as they made their oath. I hope they meant what they had just recited. We need sincere and caring doctors for our future. They will be one of the most important group of professionals in the society and I am happy my daughter was among them. 


I am grateful for the success Allah has rewarded us and right now, I just want to sincerely thank Allah. My heart was full of emotions and my tears were rolling down......

Thank you Allah for everything!

No comments: