Sunday 8 August 2010

IT WAS ONLY A GAME



My nieces and nephew came back this weekend and we decided to go for a bowling game again. Being very young, they don't score much. What a waste of money! Naaaah... althought the ball usually ends up in the gutter, they always enjoy bowling and it is a pleasure to make them happy. They are adorable. So we went - the 5 of us including 2 nieces who are still too young to play but they usually will roam around, climbing and busy themselves with all sorts of activities in the room.

We were playing as usual and this time, they scored well. For the first throw, Adam scored 9 which was excellent for a boy his age, 8 yrs old. So we played and I can see everyone showing better performance than before. Suddenly this man (in his 50's i would guess) who was playing next to us with his friends told me to make sure that the children do not distract them - they are having a match. I looked at the man and smile. I can't say anything but feeling sorry for him. His words were not good - the way he said it did not show any compassion towards children. At his age, I expect something better than that. Well, I know we made a mistake but we are talking about kids here, come on!

How many of us have this passion for children. We need to love them.. teach them things they don't know. If we teach them well, they'll grow up to be fine men and women. They are our hopes - our future. Even the prophet would let his grandson climb his back and horse him around. How passionate he was with children. He always show his affection towards children. He would kiss them, comb their hair with his fingcers, play with them and most of all, he enjoyed having them around. If we don't have love for them, who will they turn to for love? Once you establish the love and affection, it is easy to teach them out of trust and respect.

The man reported us to the manager and we were asked to change lane with someone else, with our perminssion of course. We don't mind - had to play a whole new game again. The children followed my instruction and I told them to have patience. My niece was furious because her score was better before. This time around, we played with less spirit. The balls ended in the gutter more often than before. It is not fair to deprive the children from their rights of having fun. They continue playing for the sake of filling the empty slots with some scores - mostly 0. I believe those mature man who were having their match were acting selfish. We looked at them with dissatisfaction.. I watched them play from afar. Before throwing the ball, some would look further down the lane at the pins as if they were going to swallow them. I saw all sorts of style and the throws were quite powerful compared to ours - my niece's ball would go straight at first but as it approaches the pins, it loses its momentum and....(I don't think I have to finish my sentence). They were serious. For myself, I it doesn't really matter. If the ball ends up in the gutter, I don't have to worry. I don't mind and my team won't mind either. We were there to have fun. To us, it was only a game.

I was just wondering, "If people can be so serious in a game, can they not be serious in seeking Allah's pleasure?"

Allaah says:
“And turn in repentance and in obedience with true Faith (Islamic Monotheism) to your Lord and submit to Him (in Islam), before the torment comes upon you, then you will not be helped. And follow the best of that which is sent downto you from your Lord (i.e. this Qur’an, do what it orders you to do and keep away from what it forbids), before the torment comes on you suddenly while you perceive not.” (Az-Zumar 39:54-55).

No comments: