Sunday 28 December 2008

A friend from the past

It is interesting when you have gone on a long journey. That is how I look at my life. I am not that old but it seems like life has taken me to many different points... many interesting events with different colours added to it. And there are things attached to all these memories. I don't know how other people relate to their old memories but it is funny when you think about it. For myself, sometimes I relate to my memories with songs. There are songs that will take me back to United States when I was very young and naive (That is how I describe myself). I don't enjoy songs like I did before.. but sometimes, when I was driving and suddenly I heard an old song on the air, it will take me to certain situations... like snow time or spring time or night time when I was in Wheat Shocker apartment (US) years back. When that happens, you feel strange - it is hard to describe... sadness, a sense of missing something...a tingling sensation. 

When I was in UK, I used to walk with my iPod to school - playing "Fatamorgana" nasyid. I don't know why I love the wording so much.. it is quite spiritual and deep. It talks about how in life that things are unreal - that we have to strive for the hereafter. I guess that is why I like the nasyid so much coz it reminds me of that fact. Doing PhD takes one to many different path.. so we need to constantly remind ourselves what life is all about.

Back to the title of my post, I had a best friend when I was in US... we are kindred spirits. Our experience of youth was about the same... that makes people relate better - when they have similar experience. She now live very far from us.. that is life. After university, you all go on your own separate ways.. not many people get to stick together... So suddenly when I called her, she was on holiday and decided to come over - 3hrs drive from the place she was. 

We had a nice time together.. now and then, we tried to recollect old memories... the games we used to play, the K-Mart blue-light sale shopping that we enjoyed together especially during end of summer season, the friends - of course we did get to cover that much as she couldn't stay the night. 

Before they left, we had a nice "Cendol" time at the famous mamak's place. We sat there eating cendol and then one of us said.. look at us! We started with four and now there're many of us. How true... time flies so fast and now, we are all busy with our families - doing whatever we are good at. We can attain so many different things in life - each with his/her own achievement. Of course we will not end up at the same point but wherever we end up at, we made each other's proud.

Before they left, we took a nice photo together. Even though the back ground of the photo is not New York city or London or any great city.. it was only a mamak cendol's stall, but the photo tell so many stories of us.. of our journey of life and our achievements. Looking at the photos when I was in the car, I smiled to myself. I am proud to have friends who would travel very far just to be with us even for a short time. How nice. So before they make their turn, I gave my friend, her husband and their children a bye-bye and a big flying kiss - hoping to see them again in the near future.

We now back to our own destiny... doing our own things. But being friends, we will always be together in spirit - just like Anne Shirley said!

No comments: