Wednesday 13 May 2009

Down the memory lane..

Last night, I dreamt I was in Swansea.. I don't know whose house it was and I was thinking, where are my friends? In my list, I had many visits to do - I had to see my Sudanese son, Zakaria and his wife, Sara, and also their newly born son, Yahya. Or I should find my Mauritius sister first and give her a big hug (oh! I miss her hugs - they are warm and comforting) and also in the list, the mosque to see sheikh Mohsen and his wife and children... I had to see my other sheikh, Sheikh Abdullah, Brother Asim and many more good friends... Oh.. the list was getting very long.

Then I met Sheikh Mohsen with his 2 sons.. but I didn't get to do much or talk to him. While planning to meet the others, I woke up. Aaah.... I should have do it fast while I had time but I did not. So there I was, all awake and thinking of Swansea again! Is it just me or do all these flashbacks come more often as we become more mature and more appreciative of our friends and memories that keep us alive?


This morning, I was checking my student's work when I came across one of their videos... the background song was "Hari ini dan semalam". Oh boy! It took me back to the time when my brother Zul was very little. I bet he still remembers.. One night, he couldn't sleep and he took his red guitar which my dad bought for him in KL and sang that song across the bedroom door! He was so cute and funny.... he is a good loving brother.



I used to hate him for taking over my place. He came into my life when I was 8. Being the youngest in the family for 8 years spoiled me but suddenly, there he was. At night, I was pushed to the edge of the bed. I remember for the first few days, I slept at my parents' feet. I was determined to stay on that bed by hook or by crook. Eventually, I had to be shifted and squeezed into my sister's bed... how big the bed was.. it can accommodate many of us. We were all like 1 or 2 years apart. We usually play together but being the youngest, I sometimes, can't fit in. So I hang out with my own gang. Children at that age do not play in the house. We were so adventurous ... our activities include digging the soft soil for worms and maggots, crossing the lalang field searching for all sorts of insects and what not.


My sisters... they come with all sorts of characters. It would take me too long to describe every each one of them... so I won't do it here. Such wonderful sisters they are. But at that time, I was thinking why were there too many girls... Of course, I was being silly! Looking back at those wonder years when we were kids, playing without any care in the world, it does feel sad deep inside. The sadness is not about not able to meet them everyday because they do not live near, but the sadness is more about how much you miss those time... when the parents are still young and things were so much different.. when my dad bought anything, we will divide equally among us how little they are. Of course, life gets better but it is true when Allah says, with every difficulty there is ease... indeed, it was fantastic. Being kids must be one of the best time in our lives and every each one of us must have special memories of ourselves...


Do you know that my Bangoli daughter can remember as far as when she was weaning? I bet you don't believe me.... Hey! I am not kidding. Hmmm... that's so rare!


I better get back to my business now... I can't daydreaming all day like this... so adios! Have I told you that I win a contest yesterday? Well.. that's another story.


May Allah bring us happiness in our lives and help us to step forward each day with plenty of smiles..... ameen to that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ibuku yang sungguh sentimental..ahakss..:p

rudy hashim said...

Hey...watchout what u r saying, man!!! ;P

Anonymous said...

mom, can i go back? can i? i really want to be at home desperately. please please please :(